Old 07-01-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

Default OT - bacon fat and birds

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "madgardener" contains these words:

and over here we still have good old fashioned "Country Ham" which is
VERY
salty and smoked and keeps forever. If there is a teeny bit of mold on
it,
you just rinse it off and slice it and use it anyway. We slice and fry it
with breakfast and make "red-eye gravy" with the drippings of country
ham,

Quite right too...

leftover hunks and the bone are thrown into pots of either dried white or
pinto beans or green beans and cooked until any meat falls off the
bones and
the marrow is dissolved..............

I do the same with stuff the butcher throws my way - it may look
ghastly, dry and shrivelled, but I get the stuff a a vastly reduced
price, or often, gratis.

nowday's I can't afford meat unless it's reduced.......you'd never think the
price would be as high with as many cows as I see grazing around
here...........

And it's always properly cured stuff.

then the dawgs get the bones to
gnaw......

*NEVER* give dogs bones which have been boiled!

why? I've done this for decades. No bad side effects at all..........and
here's another shudder..........I give my dogs chicken bones, although I
don't give them certain ones. Usually the larger ones like the leg bones
and thigh if it's a ham joint.
That was becoming abundantly evident...

sorry...........g there are just certain traditional foods that are
attributed to the South.......and I tend to eat a lot of them (I also love
all sorts of foods, of all ethnic tastes and flavors, I'm not opposed to
other stuff)
I often make peas pudding with the ham - or rather, with some of the ham
stock, as cooking peas in stock will allow it to go 'off' a great deal
quicker.

I prefer using green split peas, though the resulting pudding is
somewhat lumpier than that made with yellow ones. (I have been known to
'homogenise' it in a food processor.)

hmmmmm peas pudding. That sounds yummy. And Squire was just asking me about
split pea soup.........now where is that smoked ham hock???? gbseg
madgardener

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig