Old 07-01-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default OT - bacon fat and birds

The message
from "madgardener" contains these words:

I do the same with stuff the butcher throws my way - it may look
ghastly, dry and shrivelled, but I get the stuff a a vastly reduced
price, or often, gratis.

nowday's I can't afford meat unless it's reduced.......you'd never
think the
price would be as high with as many cows as I see grazing around
here...........

If I need some and can't afford it, or the butcher is closed, I take the
rifle and plug something. Round here there's an abundance of rabbits,
hares, small deer (which I don't shoot, honest, hofficer) pigeons etc
which I could take for the pot.

Also, I could get to the coast and (maybe) catch some decent fish.

And it's always properly cured stuff.

then the dawgs get the bones to
gnaw......

*NEVER* give dogs bones which have been boiled!

why? I've done this for decades. No bad side effects at all..........

I'm told that certain constituents have been boiled-out or chemically
changed, so that bits which are swallowed can't be digested.

and
here's another shudder..........I give my dogs chicken bones, although I
don't give them certain ones. Usually the larger ones like the leg bones
and thigh if it's a ham joint.
That was becoming abundantly evident...

Our bull terrier (of fond memory) used to acquire - or steal - chicken
carcases from somewhere or other, and they never did her any harm,
AFAIK.

/corn powder/

sorry...........g there are just certain traditional foods that are
attributed to the South.......and I tend to eat a lot of them (I also love
all sorts of foods, of all ethnic tastes and flavors, I'm not opposed to
other stuff)

No need to apologise, the ones I've tried, i like too. Unlike many, I
like grits.

I often make peas pudding with the ham - or rather, with some of the ham
stock, as cooking peas in stock will allow it to go 'off' a great deal
quicker.

I prefer using green split peas, though the resulting pudding is
somewhat lumpier than that made with yellow ones. (I have been known to
'homogenise' it in a food processor.)

hmmmmm peas pudding. That sounds yummy. And Squire was just asking me about
split pea soup.........now where is that smoked ham hock???? gbseg

When I was an anklebiter we often had boiled bacon, and a shovel of peas
were tied up in a cloth, and cooked with the bacon. Neither the bacon
nor the stock lasted long enough to go off: any stock left over was
incorporated into Mother's Dustbin Soup.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig