Old 07-01-2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

Default Question best, longest growing season in US

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Boxwood" wrote:

Out of curiousity, among those who are the more experienced
gardeners,
where, would you say, in the United States, will you find the place
that as, overall, the longest growing season and the best soil?
(For
what we used to call "truck" gardening - vegetables, fruit trees
and
flowers).

I'm thinking the southern United States somewhere, but I don't
know.

Actually, contrary to conventional wisdom, it is the Matanuska
Valley in
Alaska near Palmer.

Look at the title of the thread "best, LONGEST growing season in US.
Palmer wouldn't come close to qualifying, besides, the developers are
buying up the best farm land and covering it with buildings. The
actual *sun* shining hours are nearer 20 hours a day in summer,
although it never gets dark. Most of the crop there is now irish
potatoes.

Tom J