Old 08-01-2006, 07:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Stacey Malden

Default Vegetable Garden and Woodchucks

This fall, before the frost, I cleared an area for a vegetable garden. In
the past, I've had trouble with Woodchucks in my flower garden. They eat
everything. I'm prepared to put in a chicken-wire fence around the
parameter of the vegetable garden to keep them out, but have received may
opinions on how deep I need to sink it. I've been told anywhere between 5
and 18 inches. 5 inches would not be so difficult to do. 18 inches would
require some major excavation (rocks, roots, etc.). I'd like to know what
is necessary for the fence to be effective.

I'd appreciate any direction you could provide.

Thanks,

Stacey