Old 07-01-2006, 12:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty

Default Doritis roots killing leaves

This morning while watering the herd, I noticed that my doritis are
sending out A LOT of aerial roots, and the the roots are punching
through the leaves or bending the leaves so they will be forced to fall
off. For instance, my Doritis buyssoniana, a very large plant, has
seven pairs of leaves, and the bottom five pairs are being disturbed or
destroyed by roots erupting from the "stem" of the plant. (The "stem"
is a good seven inches in length from roots to crown.) Similarly, the
Doritis pulcherrimas, which are a much smaller species, are all having
the same problem. Other than this self-destructive behavior, the plants
look healthy. Am I doing something wrong? Is this natural behavior?
The plants are growing in a sunroom--either in natural light or
flourescent light; the humdity ranges from 60% to nearly 80%; some
plants are in S/H and others are in bark.