Old 08-01-2006, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

Default Lighting Question

On 7 Jan 2006 03:47:58 -0800, "EGMono" wrote:

Ok, I must be missing the point or something...

I read online the calculations for proper lighting for a 35 gallon hex
tank is 120 watts for 12.5 hours. Is this correct? And since my bulb
says 15 watts, how screwed am I? :^)

Watts per gallon is the formula I know, however what is the correct
result depends on the plants you are getting. I have "low light"
plants that are happy at less than 1.5 w/g. At that level, 52 watts
would be adequate.

If you have correctly identified the bulb at 15 watts then who cares
how long you have it on? As to hours of lighting, I don't know of a
formula. I cycle my tanks 4AM on, 1PM off, 3PM on and 7PM off. I
have no idea whether this reduces algae, but having set up the
controlers, I let them continue. I still get dots of green algae on
the glass that I scrap off when I am in the mood.

dick