Old 08-01-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Wanted: Old Unwin's Seed Packets

"Nick" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dear Jenny,

I work in Russia, and in 1993 I discovered that these returned seeds
could be exported to Russia and I managed to find purchasers for them.
I approached Unwins with this idea and they agreed.

Everything seemed to be going well until 1996 when accounting checks on
the corroboration documents provided to me by Unwin's threw up serious
doubts.

supplying these returned seeds to Russia, only new production.

their main witness [...] demonstrated to the court how, by looking at the
packet ,how he could tell that it was not manufactured for sale in the UK.

I knew that this was absolute bull***t, so set about looking for
examples of packets of their Economy Range (59p ?) that without doubt
had been sold in the past by retail outlets in the UK. The only way
that this could be done was by asking the people who purchased them,
you.

Regards,

Nick

As a matter of interest have Unwins lodged any examples of the
distinctive Russian seed packets with the Court, as evidence ?

And have you or your representative seen any of them?

I presume they (Unwins) not talking about having reprinted the
packets or changed the design, but merely (over) stamping an extra
code in the same way that they print on the sell-by date.

Because the thought which immediately springs to mind, is that if
they're as underhand as they appear to be, what's to stop them running
off some distinctive looking Russian packets to order especially for
the purposes of the case. i.e. overprinting some of the U.K. packets
they may already have in their possession ?

michael adams