Old 08-01-2006, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Orchid houseplant

On 8/1/06 13:58, in article ,
"kenty" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 6/1/06 21:32, in article
,
"Cheryl" wrote:

Hi,

I was bought a lovely orchid for my birthday in july which stayed in
beautiful bloom for months. Unfortunately all the flowers dropped off
and
now the stem they were on have dried up and gone all shriveled up like
little twigs. The leaves at the bottom are still bright green, long and
look
quite healthy.
Does this mean that my plant is still alive or has it gone to plant
heaven?
I have had no previous experience with Orchids so was hoping someone here
could help. If its still alive and will reflower do I have to cut the
stems
down to the base so they grow again?
Thanks in advance for any possible help

It's still alive and will send up new stems and flowers if you keep it
cool
and pretty dry. They thrive on neglect.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I dont know about cool, if it is phalaenopsis they like around 55/60f
min.Overwatering these is the biggest killer,water once every week or two in
winter and probably more in summer.Allow the water to drain from the pot
otherwise you will rot the roots then kill the plant.This is very important
if it is also kept inside a decorative pot!
Give it bright light,not direct sun.And try not to pamper it too much just
because it is a orchid.

Ahem. I'd call 55 to 60F 'cool' as in not 70F which is about where I prefer
house temps to be! Absolutely agree with you on the watering and not
pampering because it's an orchid - guaranteed killers for all too many
plants.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk