Old 09-01-2006, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Honeybee

Default Slugs & Copper

I have used copper pennies in rings around hostas. This works while the
plants are young. When the leaves grow and expand beyond the circle they are
no longer effective. I have had the most sucess with beer. Small round
ziplock containers buried to ground level filled 3/4 full will protect 2 - 3
plants. Empty and refill every week or two regardless of rainfall.....I have
them in an irrigated area and the traps remain effective fo this long. I use
Molson Canadian for my bait. Not for human consumption......

"Floyd" wrote in message
Part of my garden in unused Scottish farm land with a high slug
population. I've read that slugs don't like copper too much and I have
plenty old copper cable lying around that I'd like to re-use. Has anyone
had any success with this?

Thanks,

Floyd

--