Old 08-01-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty

Default Doritis roots killing leaves

Ray and Al,
Thanks for the information! Now know I'm not doing something to kill my
plants.

Ray, I'm disinclined to think it's a lack of fertilizer--I'm pretty
generous. BTW, the MSU formulation I got from you is great stuff.

Al, the root production above the leaves of the buyssonniana is really
amazing. Above the lower leaves, there are as many as five
roots--nearly as thick as pencils---erupting from the stem. Because the
roots' pressure on the leaves is forcing the leaves away from the stem,
I am assuming the leaves will die, but maybe not. So, perhaps your
theory of abscission triggering root growth might be right!