Old 09-01-2006, 02:49 AM posted to austin.gardening
deepeddygirl

Default Scorpion question

charliekilo wrote:

Luckily, after more than 8 years as an Austin resident I've only had two
personal experiences with local scorpions which raises a question. I live a
couple of miles west of the Arboretum area and many of our neighbors (even
as close as next door) get scorpions in their houses fairly regularly - why
we don't get many is beyond me.

It seems that I only hear about small, white, almost transparent scorpions
being common around here. However, my two experiences have been with solid
black scorpions...one was almost as big as my hand and the other, just last
night, was only about 2 inches long.

My question, are black scorpions common in our area?

I've never seen a black one, but we've had a dozen in our house since
1988. If there is construction nearby, be on the lookout. Anything that
vibrates or disturbs the rocks in the area will get them moving. There
isn't much you can do after you've been stung, btw. Benadryl and
calamine don't do a thing for ya. Just wait it out.