Old 09-01-2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default Award Slides

Rob wrote:
K Barrett wrote:

Rob wrote:

You don't give out instructions on how to register an unnamed hybrid
or how to get an unidentified orchid identified??? Say its not so!
Say I'm misreading that.

K Barrett

No, I don't think we do. Of course I or anybody else is always happy to
tell an exhibitor how to go about those things, but we don't have a
piece of paper with instructions on it. If we do, I have never seen it,
and I've had to do both of the above activities more than once for my
own awards.

Now, it could be possible that we have been lulled into complacency. 95%
of the things that need identification in our center probably come from
one of two people, and they are both judges. It is trivially easy to
register a new hybrid, if you know who produced it, or at least it seems
that way to all of us 'old hands'. So we may not always think about the
exhibitor who is new to the process or at least new to getting something
registered. Our center chair would of course follow through on any
awards that were still outstanding, she is pretty good about that.

I think it all boils down to experience. The judges have more
experience than most growers, which is to be expected, and unless we
actively think about what other people may _not_ know, it is hard to
anticipate the questions ahead of time. So, for my own purposes, I've
been reminded that not everybody knows how to register a new hybrid, and
I'll make sure to ask and offer assistance. Best I can do... I will
probably bring it up at our next business meeting, as well.

Rob

And I'm going to ask that we add the form for registering a hybrid along
with the instruction sheet. Why not?