Old 09-01-2006, 02:21 PM posted to austin.gardening
Elliot Richmond

Default Scorpion question

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:49:13 GMT, deepeddygirl
wrote:

I've never seen a black one, but we've had a dozen in our house since
1988. If there is construction nearby, be on the lookout. Anything that
vibrates or disturbs the rocks in the area will get them moving. There
isn't much you can do after you've been stung, btw. Benadryl and
calamine don't do a thing for ya. Just wait it out.

Texas has 18 species of scorpions, two around Austin

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1678.html

or pdf version

http://www.spcbtx.org/consumer/scorpions.pdf

Here is more on how to get rid of them, plus a picture of one under
ultraviolet. (You did know they glow under ultraviolet, didn't you?)

http://www.desertusa.com/oct96/du_scorpion.html

Close to the bottom of this next page you can find pictures of the two
species that occur around Austin. One is definitely black.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/preserves/fotoz1.htm

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor