Old 09-01-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Shrub suggestions please

I have an east facing corner at the junction of two tall hedges, which
run SE and NE respectively. The hedges are at present leylandii, but
are slowly being replaced by undergrowing with Olearia traversii. The
leylandii will be gone in a couple of years.

The corner is sheltered from our SW salt gales, but because it's in a
rain shadow and because of the leylandii, it gets dry in summer. When
the leylandii have gone, the soil may not be so dry as I don't think
the O. traversii are so thirsty. It gets sun in the mornings until
about 11am in the summer, but not much in the winter. The soil is acid
loam, well draining, and minimum temperatures are about -3C. Location:
west Cornwall.

I'm looking for suggestions for medium to tall flowering shrubs (say
in the range 1 - 3 metres high), preferably evergreen, preferably with
coloured flowers, preferably a bit exotic to take advantage of the
mild climate.

Any suggestions?

--
Chris