Old 09-01-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default USDA zone map for UK - for comparison of climate, where to find?

"slugbug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Also, you can't get away with claiming that we foisted these
measurements on you. At the time fahrenheit was the accepted scale.
Times changed and so did we. Your lot made the choice to stick with
it - no fault of ours.

Well, you know how it is. All you guys had to do is change maybe 58
or so road signs, while we would have had to change perhaps 16 MILLION
of them, all the while combating the many diehard shotgun wielding
truck drivers who make a habit of blasting any road sign that shows
kilometers. I kid you not.

At least here in our state (Ohio) the government tried changing over in
the 1970's, starting to put up signs that had kilometers listed first,
then miles. All of the signs were constantly removed by folks who
consider the Metric system a product for the mathematically challenged.
(ok, that part is a joke, for those who don't like doing fractions in
their heads)

So yes, a lot of this is due to the fact that Americans happen to be a
stubborn lot. We get ****ed off when we go to the supermarket and find
a new computer system there telling us to choose between English and
Spanish before proceeding at the checkout. I guess there is a history
to this stubbornness. It all started back when some Brits told us we
would have to pay too much for tea, and we dumped it all in the harbor
instead. About the same time, those same Brits said that only writings
on the officially stamped, high priced imported paper were valid.
Later, they told us at gunpoint that we were going to lick their boots
and like it. And thus, the whole glorification of civil disobedience
began in our culture.

Frankly, at times I wish it hadn't gone that way. If the colonists had
been respected and treated better, we'd probably all be using the
Metric system right now.

Now look here Slubug it just isn't cricket for you to post humorous comments
in this group. You can not be a true Yank with your sense of humour.
Was it you who decided on 8 bits to a Byte?

Good luck with the seed trading let us know what's available.