Old 10-01-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mikey

Default Planting Apple Tree with bare roots - advice needed

wrote:
Hi All

We've just taken delivery of two very nice looking young apple trees
from Wisley. I'm wondering what's the best next step as they are
bare-rooted. I've heard/read some advice saying they should be planted
or at least heeled-in ASAP, while others say that this isn't advisable
in very cold ground.

A the moment we have them inside the house in the unheated lobby, with
their roots wrapped in plastic.

Any advice would be gratefully received,

Will

If the ground is not frozen and the soil is workeable and not too
waterlogged then I would plant them now. Heel in somewhere temporary if
the final location is too wet/cold. Possibly soak roots in water for a
day or so before planting, but don't leave soaking for too long.