Old 19-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Roger Van Loon

Default American frost zones

tim wrote:

Does anyone have the translation of the usda hardiness frost zone keys which
accompany american text on plants. I would be grateful if anyone could fill
me in on the key.

Do you mean the USDA hardiness zone system? Here you will find some
info:
http://markw.com/hzones.htm
http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/eurozoner.html
But -
This zone system just gives the average yearly recorded minimum
temperatures. It should be noted that for the winter survival of a
certain plant, in any given location, many other factors also play a
role (local humidity, local temperature fluctuations, amount of wind
and sunshine, latitude, microclimate etc.) A continental climate (the
US) is not the same as a maritime climate (the UK).
Regards
Roger.

--
Walk tall, walk straight, and look the world right into the eye.

You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm