Old 10-01-2006, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default OT - ham hock? - "No, the dog died!"

The message
from Klara contains these words:
In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

When I was an anklebiter we often had boiled bacon, and a shovel of
peas were tied up in a cloth, and cooked with the bacon. Neither the
bacon nor the stock lasted long enough to go off: any stock left over
was incorporated into Mother's Dustbin Soup.

Got the peas and just need the ham bone. Asked in Sainsbury's deli
section whether they had some ham bones: "No, the dog died!"

Would you believe it, someone somewhere asked a Sainsbury's for a ham
bone, but his dog choked to death, and so he sued Sainsbury's! - So now,
I'm told, it's company policy not to give anyone ham bones any more!

I can believe it.

Many years ago I used to get stale loaves from a baker when I wanted to
make breadcrumbs, stuffing, etc. Imagine my surprise to find that they
no longer sold stale things because some miserable con-woman bought a
stale loaf (knowing it to be stale) and complained to Trading Standards
that it - was stale.

Tomorrow, I shall be collecting the bones from the front end of a deer
carcase for a souper brew...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig