Old 10-01-2006, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Shrub suggestions please

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:40:32 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Many New Zealand , South African and Meditteranean plats will
tolerate a place where olearia grows and I've found them surprisingly
tolerant of lack of winter sun (in our back garden). I'm aiming at
plants of a similar height (partly because of coastal wind exposure, but
also because we have an unobstructed view to die for).

A well sheltered garden and a good sea view aren't usually compatible,
sadly. Our garden is long, running SE, with the bungalow at one end,
facing SW and the sea. We have marvellous views from the bungalow (120
degrees of sea and coastline), but it also allows us to shelter the
lower part of the garden without obscuring that view.

Good survivors
include ceanothus, phormiums, (any) leucospermum (any) pittospermum
(any), fatsia japonica, hydrangea, miscanthus, ozothamnus
rosemarinifolia, corokia virgata, grevillia, sambucus "Black lace",
fennel, rosemary, euryops, bay, hebes, cordylines, euphorbia, fuchsia,
double-flowered gorse (I adore this longflowering scented non-seeding
clippable plant and can't recommend it highly enough) broom ,buddleia.
Then there's the fabulous tall clumping bulbs and rhizomes; crocosmia,
watsonia, nerines, schizostylis, irises.

I have many of these, as you might expect (Trevena Cross nurseries are
just up the road!). I'm very pleased to hear that many will cope
without winter sun. But you've given me a few that I hadn't thought
of, which was what I was hoping for. Many thanks.

--
Chris