Old 10-01-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

Default QT tank delima new sick fish

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
Koi-lo wrote:
snip

Fungus? How is the water QUALITY in your pond? Healthy fish in good
water shouldn't be getting funguses or suffer bacterial infections.

Hmmm, water quality has been testing just fine. I haven't checked it
lately.

You may want to check the PH and Nitrate levels for a start. Is there a lot
of rotting leaves and other debris on the pond bottom?

I've been told that water temperature swings are stressful on
the fish and I assumed that was the issue.

Not true unless you drop a fish in water of a much different temperature.
All my smaller pools have temperature swings, just like in nature. The
fish adapt to this natural cycle.

The fish only got sick when
the temperature swings up or down. When it's 20 degrees F for a week and
then 70's the following week the fish see a pretty wide temp swing.

It hasn't affected any of my fish (goldfish, rosy reds and koi).

Float them in a plastic bag for awhile. That's a large difference. How
about a difference in PH between the tank and the pond?

I haven't checked the PH. What would be significant?

I would consider anything less than 6.8 or over 8.8 significant. A nitrate
reading over 40 would also be significant and warrant a partial water
change. Others may have a different opinion.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952