Old 11-01-2006, 02:45 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany
Bob

Default a science definition of the concept "stand" for trees

On 10 Jan 2006 00:12:03 -0800, wrote:

I think the concept of "stand" for a species of trees is one where you
have proper environment conditions such as soil pH and where the
environment is conducive to growing the species, not necessarily having
to be "native" environment. And most importantly, that the species
volunteers seedlings or is self propagating.

Would that be a good definition of the term "stand".

I doubt it. AFAIK, a stand simply means they are there. One can
_observe_ they are there, without knowing any of the other stuff.

The dictionary supports my point, but that is not necessarily very
definitive re a scientific term. Suggest you search for a definition.
(I have no particular expertise on the point, so don't weigh my
opinion as much more than a clue.)

bob