Old 11-01-2006, 04:25 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany

Default a science definition of the concept "stand" for trees

Bob wrote:
I doubt it. AFAIK, a stand simply means they are there. One can
_observe_ they are there, without knowing any of the other stuff.

The dictionary supports my point, but that is not necessarily very
definitive re a scientific term. Suggest you search for a definition.
(I have no particular expertise on the point, so don't weigh my
opinion as much more than a clue.)

bob

A.P. writes:

Yes, I was wondering if there exist scientific terms to describe trees
in various situations. Whether "native" is a science term and how is it
defined. Whether "stand" is a science term?

I have a stand of blue spruce and a stand of juniper, but there is a
difference between the two in that the blue spruce never volunteer new
plants but the juniper are slowly covering the entire lot by seedling
volunteers. So although both blue-spruce and juniper grow well here,
the juniper self propagates. So is there a science term to describe
these two species.

I am frustrated by lack of terms to use when talking about tree lots.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium