Old 11-01-2006, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default not quite a gardening question !

The message
from "Sue" contains these words:
"Rupert" wrote
"La Puce" wrote
Sue wrote:

snip
For my part I usually have the 'hide read messages' view selected to
make things manageable, otherwise I'm scrolling down through pages of
already read stuff and would miss things. You can't always remember the
context and won't always bother to change views to check.

Ok. It's indeed a good way of going about responding to post. However,
and please don't get mad at me, I don't understand why you hide your
'read messages' viewer when it precisely let you know what you've read
or not. Why do you scroll through pages and pages of already read stuff
and don't just go to the highlighted ones you haven't read? This thread
is minute compared to some others. What do you use?

She is using Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
She uses common sense and hides read messages.

Wot 'e said.

I don't know about other newsreaders but with OE it seems to me much less
unwieldy to have only unread posts in view, especially if subbed to several
large groups. This group's a bit quieter at the moment (altho' it can be
very busy at other times of year) but in others there can be literally
hundreds of new posts a day to wade through. Yes new ones are highlighted
but it's much simpler to have all previously read stuff hidden to be able
to quickly see which threads have been added to and which, if any, to skip,
who's posted and whether I've had a response to anything of my own etc.

I wish I knew what all you lot were going on about!

In my newsreader I have a column on the left with all subscribed-to
newsgroups. A star against an entry indicates unread message(s) there.
Highlight it and in the middle column is shown the subjects in the
highlighted group. If any of these is starred, there are unread messages
there. The right-hand column shows the authors, and a star against any
of these indicates 'unread'.

Double-clicking on any item opens it. If you reply, the item window
remains open, but usually underneath the reply.

To look at what has gone before, either there must be quoted text in the
newsitem, or the reply window must be minimised or placed beneath the
newsitem, and one, or a series of them opened until the context is
found.

Janet uses the same system.

When there is no context quoted in a reply, it makes it unworthwhile
reading most of them, because it is seldom apparant what the poster is
talking about, especially if, as I do, one subscribes to a lot of
newsgroups, and the thread is a bit elderly.

We have memory problems, some of us, you know. Is it time for my
Horlicks, Nurse?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig