Old 11-01-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default China and potatoes

La Puce wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

Why, I wonder, does the rather omnivorous Chinese cuisine

typically
not include potatoes? Is it just cultural conservatism? Or that

we're
exposed only to Cantonese and Peking cookery? We've been eating

rice
for a couple of hundred years, and that has to be imported: they

must
have plenty of places where Murphies would do well.

How funny. I've never notice the lack of potatoe recipes in chinese
restaurants or take away, beside the chinese potato shoestring

salade.
However China is the world biggest potatoe grower and exporter!

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2...y7467111t0.asp

Thanks for that link: interesting. I assume, then, that the lack of
recipes in my books and in restaurants I have visited is indeed a
matter of regionalism.

--
Mike.