Old 11-01-2006, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Evergreen Climber

Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]
There are many different varieties of H. helix, and almost all are
dead easy to grow. When they get too big, you prune them back as
hard as you like. Just avoid a 'bush' variety.

At the height of my ivy craze, I took cuttings from the arborescent
phase of a few I liked the look of, assuming bush forms would result.
I believe that's the standard practice. I kept only one of them, and
it behaved courteously for about five years (I think, but don't make
me affirm), and then sent out climbing shoots. Does this always
happen in the end?

--
Mike.