Old 12-01-2006, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David D Stretch

Default China and potatoes

Mike Lyle ) wrote (uk.rec.gardening):

Why, I wonder, does the rather omnivorous Chinese cuisine typically
not include potatoes? Is it just cultural conservatism? Or that we're
exposed only to Cantonese and Peking cookery? We've been eating rice
for a couple of hundred years, and that has to be imported: they must
have plenty of places where Murphies would do well.

I spent 2.5 months in China, in a largely agricultural region of Hunan,
from September onwards last year (2005). Potatoes were a very frequent
and popular dish, done in a variety of ways, and they were present in
almost every meal I ate in people's homes, and were often ordered by
others when I ate out with them. I asked and was assured that they were
not just doing this "for me", and that potatoes are quite popular in
China, at least in that region.

--
David D Stretch: Stoke-on-Trent, UK.
Delete DELETE in the above email addresses to email me