Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default Evergreen Climber

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
pat1 wrote:

Could anybody give me some advice. I have recently moved to a new house.
On the side of the house we have a slated fence. I was considering
planting an ever green climber('s) for privacy purposes. I would like
something that needs relatively little maintenance and can put up with
the Scottish winter. Very new to gardening so any advice would be
appreciated.

It depends where in Scotland. In the colder parts, the answer is ivy
(Hedera helix). In slightly warmer ones, you can add H. colchica,
followed by Clematis armandii. In the warmest locations, there are
quite a lot of other evergreen climbers.

There are many different varieties of H. helix, and almost all are
dead easy to grow. When they get too big, you prune them back as
hard as you like. Just avoid a 'bush' variety.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We have a Clematis Armondii and they are great . It grows quickly has
lovely shaped leaves and has survived teh very harsh frost we have had
and the really hot weather we had last year.

It should i believe be planted in sun of partial shade , although we
have it in a predomently shady spot and it grows well (although don't
get many flowers)

Other things would be honeysuckle or jasmine