Old 12-01-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Hormone rooting powder - sell by date??

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

I know I'm not alone in thinking the freshness of your rooting powder
probably has little to do with your success rate. Few species
actually need it, and -- especially if you use too much -- it can
even _hinder_ rooting. I think light, temperature, moisture level,
and medium are usually more important. It's also easy -- or it is if
you happen to be as casual as I often am -- to put in your cuttings
in such a way or such a medium as to leave an air gap underneath or
around them: this is asking for failure.

We shall see...

A kind urgler sent me some Worcesterberry cuttings last year and they
went in to a bed I have to pass to get to the back door, and because of
its position, easy to shade. No rooting hormone used.

A neighbour cut off some forsythia and added it to the litter (leaf and
twig!) in the hedge down the loke, and I took a few cuttings from that
and just poked them in. No rooting hormone.

I've never found rooting hormone to affect how cuttings strike - neither
the speed of it nor the reliability.

All the cuttings - Worcesterberry and forsythia appear OK ATM.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig