Old 12-01-2006, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default Hormone rooting powder - sell by date??

"michael adams" wrote
"thesquire" wrote in message
I have been told on good authority that the talc powder based
preparations lose their effectiveness after about eight months, even
if kept in a closed container and refrigerated.

snippage

When this question was asked on Gardeners Question Time in 2002 two
of the panellists admitted they'd stopped using it years ago
with they claimed, no appreciable difference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/fshe...heetsq12.shtml

I can also remember reading an article by Geoffrey Smith, who mentioned
trying two trays of similar cuttings, one using rooting powder as per the
instructions, and one tray without. IIRC he found no appreciable difference
and concluded it was a waste of money.

The cynical part of me wonders if a use-by date on the container wouldn't
just be a sales tactic so people will throw it out and buy more product.

--
Sue