Old 12-01-2006, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Padger

Default Further to Leylandii in pots. Mentioned above

snip
But I'm still no nearer to finding an alternative to Leylandii though.
snip
I had Leylandei hedges of which most have been taken out and replaced with
fencing. My last remaining hedge is about 4/5' wide and about 6 1/2ft tall.
Awkward to manage but it serves a useful purpose so will stay for time
being.
The last one to go was in front garden and has been replaced with Yew which
is not as slow growing as you might think. It also stands clipping back well
and will regenerate if you cut it back fairly hard. My choice was green but
you can get yellow varieties.
If you need to match your existing hedge exactly then you must use the same
variety.
Years ago one of my Leylandei trees was blown down in the hurricane (it was
still fairly young and only about 6') I replaced it and a couple of years
later you couldn't see the join.
hth Jim