Old 12-01-2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Default Oh, wonderful CITES!

So they wouldn't be threatened in their native habitat if more collecting
were allowed? It's acceptable to strip all of the plants out of their
habitat as long as they are freely available to the horticultural trade?

I guess I'd better elaborate. No, I do not find that acceptable. What irks
me is that enforcement of conservation often appears to be aimed more at
researchers and those who would reproduce the plants, whether for sale or to
replenish their numbers in their natural habitat than at poachers. I don't
mean to suggest that poachers are never caught (they are). Researchers are
far more likely to go through the proper channels than your average poacher,
right? And then they jump through all the hoops and sometimes are denied
anyway, while the poachers go merrily on their way. I'm trying to be fairly
specific here so I don't get flamed again; my asbestos suit is at the
cleaners.

If the country doesn't allow them to be sold, there are about 20,000 other
species and 100,000+ hybrids you can grow instead.

No need to be snarky. I think better of you than that.

Diana