Old 12-01-2006, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default not quite a gardening question !

The message
from "Sue" contains these words:

The first indicator is the 'Crash Co-efficient', or the frequency of the
BSOD.

Hah! A myth I refuse to believe.

I've always used Windows, seeing as those computer-savvy geeky genes
required to fathom the mysteries of Linux have passed me by and been
inherited by Absent Offspring. I've still only ever had one of those BS
thingies and that was really my own fault.

I suppose I ought to cross fingers at this point...

Yes, I think you better had.

I was bragging about the very same thing with the very same statistics
and began having BSODs almost immediatly - or do I mean I'm eejitly?
That was Win 98. The machine was happily running Debian Linux too, and I
decided to install Win 2000 Pro..

After 20 attempts at installing it I had to give up and install it on a
smaller, slower box. It wouldn't install because the faster box had a
SCSI CD ROM drive, and despite loading the drivers (Win 2000 alleged it
had them) it wouldn't find the CD drive during installation. Using
Linux, I even copied the files it needed to a hard drive and when it
wanted to access the CD drive and couldn't find it, I directed it to the
files in the hard drive,

It couldn't find them...

The BIOS found found the CD drive and booted from it, but could Windows
see it?

Debian Linux found it during the installation, but could Windows?

On this box (which has an IDE CD ROM drive) it loaded with no problems,
but it took a lot of persuading to see the two Ultra SCSI HDs and the
two Ultra-Wide ones.

I won't say I often get the BSOD, but sometimes the box doesn't close
down properly and at others it locks up and even a three-fingered salute
won't waken it - but only in Windows.

Running any flavour of Linux it has never even faltered.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig