Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default The plight of the Red Squirrel: From Scotland.

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"Walt" wrote in message
. ..
Squirrel pox is said to have been carried over the border by grey
squirrels migrating north from Cumbria.

Red squirrels with the virus will suffer skin ulcers, lesions and
scabs, with swelling and discharge around the eyes, mouth, feet and
genitals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4093856.stm

Will it cross the species barrier?

And, more importantly, will the grey squirrels suffer the same fate?

No, because that's the whole point as explained in the article referred
to, the greys are carriers but don't die from ti. It does actually state
this clearly enough I would have thought: "Grey squirrels are seldom
harmed by the virus, but red squirrels have no immunity and usually die
within 15 days." and "All we know is that the grey squirrels carry it.
They are unaffected clinically by it so they act as a reservoir host for
the disease. They pass it into red squirrels, who once they have caught
it, die within two weeks."

Damn!

Alan

--