Old 13-01-2006, 08:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

Default Pine Wood Chips

"Lenny" wrote in message
oups.com
I have recently had a tree tradegy in my yard. All of my
beautiful
Loblolly pines were infested with the dreaded pine bark beetle
and
were removed. I now have the largest pile of pine wood chips
you can
imagine. I intend to spread them across the bare ground and let
them
decompose over time, but would like to use some as a mulch. I
know
they will rob the surrounding earth of nitrogen, but what type
of
plants will this affect and by how much?

I will now set to planting at least as many trees as were
removed.
My back already hurts ;-)

Len

I believe they will only use the nitrogen in the top couple of
inches.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5