Old 21-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default American frost zones

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:01:23 GMT, "Anne Middleton/Harold Walker"
wrote:

.
| And the USDA zones are a damn-fool idea |
| Now, now, Nick, temper, temper. The USDA zones were devised with
| a specific purpose in mind, hardiness of *woody*

That is true, and I wish people would stop doing it./////////////

Nick, is that an all inclusive statement.....meaning that we in the USA
should stop using this valuable tool?????????

Some of my most valuable gardening books are of English origin but I would
never suggest chucking 'em out because they contain material of no value to
the parts of the USA where it is colder than hell in the winter time and
gardening, as you know it over there, does not exist......such utter
nonsense and tripe as planting broad beans in the autumn months to give a
head start for the following year or planting spring cabbage seedlings in
the autumn months..........perhaps I should reconsider and consign those
books to the scrap heap or the compost heap??????
HW.

You have entirely omitted attribution of the quoted material. In
a contentious thread like this one shows signs of turning into,
careful attribution and quote-marking is a sine qua non, as well
as being a courtesy.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada