Old 13-01-2006, 11:45 AM posted to aus.family,aus.gardens,melb.general
Annie

Default Fence questions [X-posted]

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
We are planning on having our boundary fences replaced soon as they are
quite deteriorated. We are surrounded on two sides by pensioners and on
the other by a rental. I am currently putting together the quotes and
writing up letters to go to everyone concerned.

What happens when/if a neighbour doesn't want to/can't pay their share?
Can you still go ahead with a fence if you pay for it yourself?

Also to save money we will be demolishing the old ones ourselves as they
are practically falling down. Is there a logical way to take them apart
other than paling by paling?

Thanks for any advice in advance,
Liz

We made our neighbour on one side agree to putting up a proper fence between
us because he kept propping his pool gate open all the time and our toddlers
could quite easily climb the breezethrough fence and get into their pool.
He was really reluctant to do it because he thought a fence would make his
yard too hot. He finally agreed when we said we'd pay for all expenses if
he built it. When we put our pool in, our neighbour on the other side
didn't want to know about paying so we paid for it all ourselves. The back
fence, we went halves with the neighbour in costs and he built it!!

I am sure you can't make your neighbours pay unless the fence is damaged in
which case you are required to go halves to pay for the fence to be fixed.

Definitely check with your local council and DO NOT trust the word of the
estate agent. We once listened to an estate agent and paid half for a fence
to be fixed on a vacant block when the stupid neighbour hadn't installed it
correctly to begin with --- we were never consulted as to whether it was ok
or not to put that fence up which we wouldn't have approved of because it
was a Super 66 fence with the frame work on our side!!