Old 12-01-2006, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Hormone rooting powder - sell by date??

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Citric acid and sodium bicarbonate when mixed as solids do not react.
Andrews liver salts /Alka-Seltzer the above mixture only fizz with water.

Try keeping 'liver salts'sealed for a couple of years and then look at
them. I came across some in a tightly-sealed tin and stirred a spoonful
into some water, and it barely fizzed.

If it had got damp enough for it to react in the normal way, it would
have been caked solid, and the lid would have been blown off long before
that.

Only a tiny amount of moisture needs to be present, and it will exchange
ions surreptitiously, and you'll be none the wiser until you come to use
your 'remedy'. (Which in fact is not particularly good for you anyway -
any good the citrate does you is likely to be offset by the sodium.)

Indolebutyric acid/Naphthylacetic acid are stable and do not react.

I don't know if you're right, or how stable is 'stable', and whether
that stability remains so in the presence of acidic magnesium hydrated
silicate.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig