Old 13-01-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Further to Leylandii in pots. Mentioned above

Sacha wrote:
On 13/1/06 11:30, in article
, "Mike Fitzpatrick"
wrote:

snip The last one to go was in front garden and has been

replaced
with Yew which
is not as slow growing as you might think. It also stands

clipping
back well and will regenerate if you cut it back fairly hard. My
choice was green but you can get yellow varieties.

Padger, Yew is something I had not considered, food for thought
there I think.
Many thanks

You might like to consider beech, too. It holds its dead leaves if
kept below a height of about 8 or 9 feet, provides cover for birds
and looks rather pretty with its retained russet colouring. I

loathe
leylandii, so would never encourage anyone to grow it. However, if
you live in a fairly mild climate, Griselinia, both green and
variegated, make a wonderful evergreen hedge, as does Escallonia
which has the bonus of attractive flowers, much loved by bees. You
could use Eucalyptus, too and just keep them at the level you want
them after a couple of years allowing them to grow and get their
roots down - some varieties of eucalyptus are more suitable for
hedging than others and this is a good place to find them:
www.eucalyptus.co.uk
They're in N. Wales, I believe and are in a cold and windy spot, so
their plants are bred tough!

I'll also bang the drum again for Thuja plicata if it's that dense
coniferous effect you're after.

--
Mike.