Old 13-01-2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Graham Orme

Default Shitake Mushroom Log Not Growing - HELP!

In message .com,
redens writes
I received a mushroom log kit for Christmas, followed the directions,
and nothing! I can't tell if I'm giving it too much water, too much
light, or not enough of either. I am trying to grow it indoors in the
midwest. It has a faint green mold on the top of the log - is this
okay?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

If you mean Christmas 2005, then the chances are it has only just been
inoculated. You'll have to keep the log damp for around a year while the
mycelium grows through the wood. Only then will it be ready to fruit.

The instructions with the log I got for Christmas say that if it is kept
indoors, it should be submerged in water overnight once a month.

I'm too lazy for that. I've just put it in the garden where the water
butt overflows and I'll give it extra water if it needs it in the
summer.
--
Graham