Old 13-01-2006, 05:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Default Filtering a big pond

Your ****ing in the wind if your going to even think about filtering a
natural mud bottom pond especially when you consider whaty a mud
bottom pond is......the mud in y our pond is the key to your ponds
naturally occuriing biological filter system all proovided by naature
nothing else other than aeration needs to be done. .Aerate it like
many other have posted, keep excessive nutrient loads from runoff to a
minimum or non existent, and let it go at that. There is no plants
your gonna be able to plant aorund or in the pond that will not take
over and become invasive in a natural pond......If you need something
for algae, then you have excessive nutrients.......probably from
runoff water.......or lack or or insufficient aeration.......or
both......ALgae blooms in this sectin of the o****ry is the norm, so
every bit yu can do to knock down nutrients and provide aeration will
be iportant....YOur wasteing money with the barley crap, get some
Baraclear and be done with it...
Just what did you do with all this info you were provided previously
on numerous accounts ......eat it or?
You make the same posts asking the same questions over and
over........evidently the answers you were given does not fit your
budget or desires or you would have implemented them by now.

sheeeeeeesssssssssssh

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:40:09 -0500, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:
The bulldozer and front end loader got finished and now what once was a 40
ft small tree lined wet garbage dump (sort of a pond) is now a 40 foot in
diameter mud puddle with an average depth of about 3 feet. I don't think
the water is *too* polluted because as the thing got cleared out the
landscape people found a bunch of frogs, turtles, and at least two
cottonmouth snakes, one being about 5 feet long. That was a little
exciting for me, but the guy on the bulldozer didn't seem too impressed,
and he made rather short work of the snake with his bulldozer blade. I
guess those folks are quite used to running into snakes. Anyway, I looked
at pumps and filters for large ponds and found that about the largest I
could find was for about a 5000 gal pond, and it seems mine is a bit larger
than that. I don't have any illusions about having crystal clear water
flowing in the pond, but it seems to me that constantly moving the water
through some sort of filter would eventually change it from being just a
mud puddle into something a little more eye appealing. Would circulating
the water through a series of "settling tanks" (coarse gravel, fine gravel,
then something like sand) be of any use? Are there plants that I can ring
my mud puddle with that would help? I live in northern Florida, so brutal
winters are not exactly a problem but I also don't want to go down in
history as the guy who planted something like kudzu around his pond, only
to have it escape and become a serious pest. Also, do those "barley ball"
and other "pond treatments" I see advertised do any good?

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We are the CroMagnon of the future

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....