Old 14-01-2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn Coffelt

Default bugs? fungus? eating my "orchid cactus"

Thanks to everyone for all the help. This last one about edema, and the
pictures on the "link" seem to fit quite well. I've pretty near stopped
watering the one plant with the problem, and it has grown some new leaves
(is that what they are called?) without the blistering. I'll try to be more
aware in watering when it begins to heat up again here in NW Washington.
Lynn

"Suzy O" wrote in message
Sounds like edema to me, and not unusual on thick-leaved plants. Check

this
out to see if this looks like your plant's problem:
http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/gardenfacts/XHT1116.pdf

Suzy O, Zone 5

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
Help, something is blistering my orchid cactus leaves. Picture is
posted on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I've got two or three varieties
of
something Wife calls "orchid cactus" growing in the greenhouse. One (the
most beautiful when it decides to bloom) has this blight that I can't

seem
to slow down. I don't want it to spread into the others until I learn
something about control.
Each little spot seems to start with a little watery blister, and

then
dry up into a much harder brown blister. I thought at first it was some
kind
of a bug inside the early stage blister. I popped one or two open and
using
a 10x glass looked for something squirming or with legs...... nothing I
could identify.
Is this ailment something anyone knows about? And also I'm sure that
there is a better name for the plant than "orchid cactus"..... maybe

some
help there too!

Thanks in advance!
Lynn (really rank amateur greenhouser)