Old 13-01-2006, 10:21 PM posted to aus.family,aus.gardens,melb.general
Terry Collins

Default Fence questions [X-posted]

Staycalm wrote:

What happens when/if a neighbour doesn't want to/can't pay their share? Can
you still go ahead with a fence if you pay for it yourself?

1) google/online search,
2) ask your local council
3) try a community legal centre

Be prepared to compromise. It is totally unreasonable to expect the same
fence on all three boundaries as peeps have different tastes.
1 - brown with gal posts
2 - dark green
3- dark brown.

Far better to talk to all neighbours (the landlord (if you can), not the
rental), then to just send a letter. Two of my neighbours did this and
we did fine. The third got a big shock when I replied to his letter
"okay, but I want a 3m fence because your visitors don't repect our
privacy and throw rubbish over here (which was all returned to his
pool). We garden, they are concrete maniacs

The gotcha is that a fence literally has to totally demolish itself
before you can make a neighbour replace it, if council requires a fence.
The law doesn't see fashion/fads as a legitimate reason to require
replacement.

Also to save money we will be demolishing the old ones ourselves as they are
practically falling down. Is there a logical way to take them apart other
than paling by paling?

Depends on how you are getting rid of it from your property, if you are
not going to cut them up for the brazier for the winter BBQ.
With a nice hand sledge(?), one tap on the bottom then a tap on the top
flug the paling out to the side, where missus picked them up and loaded
the wheelbarrow.

When we (2 neighbours) costed DIY colourbond fencing, there was
nothing/little to be saved by doing it (the fence) ourselves.