Old 13-01-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Allotment Layout

Mel wrote:

Me again with another question regarding my new allotment (many more
questions to follow, no doubt).

(snipette)

I prefer block planting because I find it easier to get access. The
leeks stay in the longest and you don't want to disturb them. Though
the onions are better in a long row because they need more space around
them once the leaves dry out. You can just lay them on the same side on
a 15 foot bed. I use lots of companion plants, and just love flowers in
between, and the rows stop me doing this because I can't walk all along
it without having to step over other rows. I like being able to walk
around the square - kids will find it easier too. For thining carrots I
use scissors rather than pulling it out, so I don't disturb the roots
of other seedlings, and I find I don't waste so much seeds when
planting in loonnnnng rows. However, the 15 foot long rows will be
easier to weed. But once in a while I don't mind a poppy getting in
there. I find it more of a preferance than a requirement. I am a bit
messy, but I like the result, it is varied and interesting, colourful
and bright.