Old 13-01-2006, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Default Hedges

Fads wrote:

newbie gardener here,

I'm after some advice on growing a hedge to around 5-6 foot high, to give
privacy in my garden,

Which variety would be best for speed of growth? and how do is go about
growing hedges?

If you want fast try the dreaded Leylandii. But be careful what you wish
for because you will live to regret it. Cutting twice a year at least or
lose control. Then get sued by your irate neighbours.

Sorry if the info is vague but as is said I'm a newbie!

How much hedge do you need to grow? Does it need to be stock proof?

I prefer blocks of no more than 10' planted with all the same species -
beech, cotoneaster, box, privet, blackthorne, hawthorne etc. I will let
the odd honeysuckle, wild rose and bramble grow through it too. I also
have holly but that is too slow growing and yew is far too poisonous.

Regards,
Martin Brown