Old 14-01-2006, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Hormone rooting powder - sell by date??

The message
from contains these words:
In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

In the late 1990s we were still eating jam my mother made in the '60s.

A far cry from the "refrigerate once opened" nonsense sold by today's
supermarkets.

Indeed. And they were kept on some shelves in the barn. Sometimes a
little mould had to be scraped off the top...

But today's stuff has too little sugar, and lots of other rubbish in.
Fortunately, if I want to buy jam, there's a local man who makes jams
and marmalade, jellies, etc, and sells them in aid of a cancer charity.

Ok, they're not cheap, but they're really good, and none of this added
citric acid, and aspatawossname and bulking agents - it's fruit and
sugar and water to recipe. (I've just improved a pot of his damson jam
by adding some (much too sharp and not very fruity) sloe gin, and
'melding it in a steamer, with the lid of the jar screwed down.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig