Old 14-01-2006, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default mystery plant

Sacha wrote:

On 13/1/06 20:34, in article ,
" wrote:
snip
Spanish, portuguese, english and I think italian all pronounce c as 'k'
when it is before a,o or u and as a softer sound 's', 'th' or 'ch'
before e or i. (English is confused by all the words we have derived
form non-S. european origins). So that would suggest you're right with
your pronounciation, though it sounds completely wrong to my ear! But
then, I learnt from my mother to say 'sissy rinch ium' ;-)

In Italian 'ch' is the k sound so church, 'chiesa' or closed 'chiuso' are
keyasa and kuso and dear 'cara' is kara. ski 'sciare' is sheearrray, fish
'pesce' is peshay.

Therefore Senecio is pronounced Senesio.