Old 14-01-2006, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

Default Hedges

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Fads" wrote in message
.uk...
Hello,

newbie gardener here,

I'm after some advice on growing a hedge to around 5-6 foot high, to

give
privacy in my garden,

Which variety would be best for speed of growth? and how do is go about
growing hedges?

Sorry if the info is vague but as is said I'm a newbie!

Thanks

Fads

Personally I would avoid any hedges that can not be cut hard back at some
time in the future, things like leylandii make very good hedges but you

can
not cut them back beyond the cut line. I would also avoid hedges that only
look good for a short while after cutting, Privet is in this category it
grows too quickly which I know you said you wanted but a fast hedge needs
cutting more often.
If it were me I would put in a lightweight screen for instant privacy and
plant Yew, green or gold (but not mixed!) Its easy to maintain and the

birds
love it to nest in and feed off.
And yes its poisonous - but only if you eat it!

Or a cotoneaster hedge or mixed with cotoneaster, pyracantha, berberis.
Nice and prickly for security and has flowers and berries for birds and bees
and evergreenish.Stick a few rosa rugosa in too and it'll look lovely. Not
sure if it'll get to 6 foot though.
If you want instant privacy a fence would be better.