Old 14-01-2006, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default Hedges

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:00:57 -0000
"PammyT" wrote:

]
] "Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
] ...
]
[]
] If it were me I would put in a lightweight screen for instant privacy and
] plant Yew, green or gold (but not mixed!) Its easy to maintain and the
] birds
] love it to nest in and feed off.
] And yes its poisonous - but only if you eat it!
]
] Or a cotoneaster hedge or mixed with cotoneaster, pyracantha, berberis.
] Nice and prickly for security and has flowers and berries for birds and bees
] and evergreenish.Stick a few rosa rugosa in too and it'll look lovely. Not
] sure if it'll get to 6 foot though.
] If you want instant privacy a fence would be better.
]
]

That's a pretty sounding hedge, alright. How about a little
variegated euonymus for year round color, too?

Berberis darwinii certainly reaches 6 ft, pyracantha no problem,
there are some big cotoneasters (lactea?).

Will look less tidy than yew, of course.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom