Old 15-01-2006, 12:45 AM posted to rec.ponds
Daniel Morrow

Default Filtering a big pond

Mid posted.
Galen Hekhuis wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:13:18 -0600, "Koi-lo"
wrote:

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:32:05 -0600, "Koi-lo"
wrote:

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
I don't have any illusions about having crystal clear water
flowing in the pond, but it seems to me that constantly moving
the water through some sort of filter would eventually change it
from being just a mud puddle into something a little more eye
appealing.
================================
If it looks like a "mud puddle" and isn't very attractive I'd
plant water lilies. They'll spread and bloom giving you color.
They'll also shade the
water, starving the algae. Have you thought of Lotus? They can
really get
carried away but are beautiful.

Thanks. There are a bunch of water lilies growing out in the front
pond, I
can grab some and transplant them. Is there anything special I
need to watch out for? I had thought Lotus might be far too
demanding for my somewhat neglectful type of care.

Lotus need no care in a pond with a soil bottom. They're not
demanding unless you grow them in pots or tubs. They'll grow around
the edges mainly where the water is shallower. Their booms are
breathtaking! You can plant the water lilies where the water is
deeper, in the middle.

Far out. I'll try some of them.

Some type of floating waterpump (so it doesn't clog quickly) with
a few foamers would help keep it from getting stagnant and turning
into a mosquito
breeding pit.

Either mosquitoes don't bother me much or we don't seem to have as
many here as I expected when I moved here. In any event, I've got
a 3000 gal/hr
pump sucking up water (through a screen-type wastebasket) at one
end and the discharge hose almost at the other end, my intent to be
to get as much movement as I can, considering.

If the pump doesn't clog with silt and leaves that should help.
Keep if off the bottom if possible. If mosquitoes do become a
problem you can add some cheap feeder goldfish or even cheaper rosy
reds.

I've got a bunch of those mosquito eating minnows in my back pond, I
guess I'll be moving a bunch up to this pond. I'm not much of a fish
person, the real name of the fish I think starts with a "g."

I think the "g" is the start of gambusia. I believe they are technically
called mosquito fish as a common name. Wonderful tough little fish and they
really eat mosquito larvae. I bred some indoors once when I was young, my
first success with fish a long time ago. Mosquito fish are perfect for ponds
in my area as the temperature here is almost always mild. I've even seen
mosquito fish in the artificial (I think) stream outside the death valley,
california, usa visitor center and I never saw any mosquitos in that area.
Strangely enough I have seen allot of mosquitos at another death valley
location which had no open water that I know of. I prefer fancy guppies
indoors though, much more colorful but outdoors the mosquito fish's
temperature range is superior. Good luck and later!

My
brother was down here and pointed them out. They must work pretty
well; I sure don't notice many mosquitoes back there.

The screen on the wastebasket on the pump
will admit stuff that is about 1/4 inch or less, even though the
pump is supposed to handle solids up to 3/8 inch. On the discharge
side I have the
water running down one of the "banks" of the "pond." What type of
"floating" water pump would you recommend?

If it's running down the bank it'll probably keep your pond muddy,
unless the bank is rock. Since I don't use these type of floating
pumps I can't recommend any particular brand. I see them floating
and spraying in small ponds here in TN. It appears they're on some
kind of floating platform anchored in the place they're to stay. I
have no idea what kind of filter is attached to them to keep "junk"
from being sucked in. You can call your Agricultural Extension
Agent for someone in your county who would know. Sorry I can't be of
any more help.....

There are no rocks on this property at all. There isn't even a
pebble that I've found. It seems like there is only clay and sand,
but mostly clay, or mud when it is wet. I know if you go down deep
enough here there is limestone, there are limestone outcroppings and
stuff all along the Suwannee River, which is only about three miles
from here. This is kind of a plateau, at 145 feet above sea level it
is some of the highest ground around, but it is flat and doesn't
drain well. I would think that after water runs down a bank for
several months it would have washed away all the mud it could, but
maybe not.

As far as calling someone goes, I'm afraid that is not an option for
me. I have something called primary lateral sclerosis (it is
sometimes called a "gentler and kinder" form of ALS, or Lou Gehrig's
Disease) and I have pretty much lost my ability to talk (at least so
people can understand me), let alone walk. I still drive a mean
kayak, however, my upper body strength seems unaffected.

Hey, you've been a big help. I don't expect everyone to have all the
answers every time, there is no need to be sorry about it. I ask some
pretty basic and stupid (and repetitious, so I've been told)
questions that could probably be cleared up with a simple phone call.
But here I get to ask a bunch of people all at once, and anyway, I
think my questions are a bit more on topic than some of the folks
discussing evolution, or religion, or whatever...

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We are the CroMagnon of
the future