Old 15-01-2006, 12:50 AM posted to rec.ponds
Daniel Morrow

Default Effects of Stainless Steel?

Bottom posted.
Kevin wrote:
Hi group,
I am in the process of designing a formal pond for my Townhouse. In
the interest of making my life easier in the future, for maintenance
purposes, I am thinking of using stainless steel to create some of the
filter components.
Is anyone aware of any kind of detrimental effects that stainless
steel may have on the water chemistry which may affect the fish?
Is there a preference as to the type of stainless steel? I have
found good sources for type 304 and type 316 mesh in various mesh
counts. The main difference between the two from what I've read, is
that type 316 has molybdenom added to the alloy. This makes it far
more resistant to oxidation, much stronger and resistent to thermal
dispertion. I like the idea of oxidation prevention, as well as the
added strenth, but the thermal factor doesn't even come into play for
my purposes. That is unless my pressure washer finds a way of
producing temperatures approaching 1400 degrees.
My main goals are for use as hardware (that will be exposed to the
water), removable baskets to hold filter media, and screening for
filter openings etc.. I may even consider machining or buying some
fountain nozzles or spray nozzles for distribution of water over
filter media.
Any input would be of help.

Thanks
Respectfully
Kevin

I've heard that stainless steel is supposed to be totally safe with fish and
invertebrates (i.e. snails and plants as well I think). Sorry but that's all
I know. Good luck and later!